With Covid-19 vaccination drives going on all around the country, new moms have a lot of inhibitions in taking it. As per MoHFW India, all lactating mothers are advised to take Covid-19 vaccination. If you are a lactating mother and wondering if you should or not take the Covid-19 vaccine, then this blog is just for you. We got all your doubts cleared and questions answered. Read on to find out.
Book an online appointment to consult Ruth Patterson for Lactation/Breastfeeding related concerns.
Covid 19 Vaccination is Safe for Lactating Mothers as:
1. There is no risk of transmission of the virus through breast milk.
2. Once vaccinated, the mother’s body will make antibodies that will pass through to the baby through breast milk.
3. It is safe to breastfeed the baby, even if you have any side effects of the vaccination like fever, body pains, etc.
4. There is no need to stop breastfeeding at the time or even after taking the vaccination.
Related Link: Covid-19 Pregnancy Helpline
Precautions for Lactating Mothers Specific To Covid-19 Vaccination:
New mothers need to ensure that they follow the government protocols of wearing a mask, maintain hygiene and adhere to social distancing while visiting vaccination centres.
General Precautions for Lactating Moms:
Maintaining hand hygiene is of utmost importance.
1. Wash your hands before and after feeding.
2. Wear a mask while breastfeeding the baby.
3. Don’t encourage visitors from outside.
4. Minimize travel.
5. Keep the baby’s surroundings sanitize.
Related Link: Breastfeeding/Lactation support at Home.
Lactation in Case Mother is Covid Positive:
In case you are a new mother and have been tested Covid positive, express the milk and hand it over to a Covid negative person to feed the baby with a spoon or cup.
Holding your baby in hand and feeding them your love as milk is a heavenly feeling.
At the time of the pandemic, don’t let the vaccination fear come in between you and your baby. Take the vaccination with all the precautions mentioned above and have a safe lactation time for you and your baby.
Want to consult the Best Pediatricians in India? Please find the links below.
Want to book best Maternity Packages in India? Please find the links below.