Give your Gynaec a visit
Obstetricians and Gynecologists, commonly known as ‘OB-GYN’ are doctors who specialize in women’s health and focus on the female reproductive system. Visiting your OB-GYN can be a very intimidating process, most women tend to avoid it.
To Book an appointment with Dr Monica Agarwal for Gynec issues
OB-GYNs don’t have to be visited only for issues regarding pregnancy and birth control, they provide education, assessment, and treatment for issues that may span a lifetime. They cure various issues regarding menstruation, pregnancy, birth control, hormone disorders, and more.
A few reasons behind visiting your OB-GYN:
1. Keep a check on your overall physical health - At around 13-15 years of age, women must start visiting their OB-GYN for an annual check-up, to make sure they dodge potential issues, such as PCOS, PCOD, etc. and keep a check on their BMI (Body Mass Index)
2. Irregular menstrual cycle - Irregular menstruation can be an alarming issue. Apart from pregnancy, a few causes of irregular periods may be too much exercise, stress, change in birth control pills, PCOS, etc. If ignored, it can cause reproductive issues in the future. If there’s any change in the cycle or irregularity, the concern must be addressed immediately with the OB-GYN.
3. Blood discharge while urinating - If there is consistent pain while urinating or a bloody discharge, a woman must immediately consult her OB-GYN in order to take precautions.
4. Painful sex or painful cramps - If a woman is going through a lot of un bearable pain during sex or during their menstrual cycle, she must visit her OB-GYN to make sure everything is okay. A few causes for painful sex or unbearable period pain may be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease),PCOS, etc. If not for these common causes, you may need to learn what measures need to be taken.
5. Breast examination - Women over the age of 40, must make frequent visits to their OB-GYN for breast examination, although, if there is a history of breast cancer in the family, women of a younger age must visit they OB-GYN too, making sure all precautionary measures are being taken care of.
6. Pelvic examination - Women above the age of 21 years must start visiting their OB-GYN to get an annual pelvic exam done, it is indispensable to a woman’s overall health. It usually lasts only a few minutes, the doctor checks your intimate parts for any abnormalities. It is used to assess organs within the female pelvis.
7. Pap smear- Also known as a Pap test is done to stay on the safer side, women above the age of 21 years old must regularly get this procedure done, to keep their health concerns in check. It is a procedure done to test for cervical cancer in women, detecting which at an early age, gives you a greater chance at a cure.
Visiting your doctor every once in a while can be of great help to keep your mind a tease, and can help avoid any potential issues, or solve present concerns regarding the science of women. Stay healthy, stay happy!