Cancer can affect different parts of the uterus, with endometrial cancer originating in the inner lining of the uterus, known as the endometrium. Endometrial cancer is typically found in middle-aged women and is more common in those who are obese, diabetic or hypertensive. There are three different treatment options for uterine cancer:
· Surgical removal of the uterus, ovaries, lymph nodes and fallopian tubes
· Radiation therapy
Given the challenging nature of these treatments, it is best to prevent or detect uterine cancer early. While you cannot control genetic or hereditary factors, there are simple steps you can take to reduce your risk:
· Control body weight: Keep your weight within a healthy range, as obesity increases the production of estrogen from fat in the body, which can promote the growth of the endometrium and increase the odds of uterine cancer.
· Breastfeed: Studies have shown that mothers who breastfeed for 1-2 years have a lower risk of developing uterine cancer.
· Treat abnormal bleeding: Consult your doctor if you experience any abnormal bleeding, including heavy periods, bleeding after menopause or bleeding between menstrual cycles, as these could be symptoms of endometrial hyperplasia, which may develop into cancer.
· Exercise: Regular exercise helps to maintain a healthy weight and balance hormones in the body, reducing the risk of uterine cancer.
· Healthy diet: Eat a balanced diet to promote overall health and wellbeing.
· Birth control pills: Contrary to common belief, birth control pills can help prevent uterine cancer.
Want to consult the best gynecologists in India? Please find the links below.