A pregnancy is typically composed of about 40 weeks and divided into three sub-periods or trimesters, each requiring specialised care. In this article, we turn the spotlight on the first trimester – comprising weeks 1 to 12 of pregnancy. The first trimester is often the most neglected, seeing as a woman may not even realise she is pregnant during this time. Once a pregnancy is confirmed, it is important to adopt a conscious, health-oriented regime. Highlighted below, are steps and measures recommended during this period.
- After a pregnancy confirmation, schedule a consultation with a doctor
- If not already on prenatal vitamins, start these at the earliest
- Seek the requisite prenatal tests to assess the health of the fetus
- If you suffer from morning sickness, find relief methods that work for you; try options like citrus-flavoured candy, ginger drops or a lavender soap
- Eat small, frequent meals every 2-3 hours to keep nausea and vomiting at bay (morning sickness tends to diminish after the first trimester)
- Maintain a disciplined routine to divert your mind from unpleasant urges or sensations
- Adjust your daily routine to account for the tiredness, morning sickness and other medical issues that may crop up during pregnancy
- Increase your fluid intake by experimenting with fruit-infused water; try lemon, cucumber or cumin-flavoured variants
- If you have a sore back, make sure to maintain a good posture while seated and avoid bumpy roads while travelling
- Maintain a healthy diet; pick fruits and veggies in a range of colours – the more colours you have, the more natural multivitamins and antioxidants you’re getting
- Go for regular walks to control acidity, minimise leg cramps, aid digestion, improve stamina and keep your weight in check
- Opt for a nuchal translucency scan between weeks 12 and 13+6 to check for chromosomal abnormalities like Down’s syndrome
- Consult a doctor if you experience any abnormal discharge
- Stay away from alcohol, smoking and drugs
- Avoid heavy lifting and frequent bending over
- Avoid any dental treatment
Pregnancy can be a harbinger of hope for a couple. It is therefore essential to take paramount care during this period.
If you found this article interesting and would like to know more, talk to a Cloudnine expert today!