Some women may experience pelvic pain during pregnancy. This is also called pregnancy-related Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction(SPD).
PGP is a collection of uncomfortable symptoms caused by stiffness of your pelvic joints or the joints moving unevenly at either the back i.e., sacroiliac joint or front of your pelvis is a symphysis pubis joint.
PGP is common, affecting 1 in every 5 pregnant women and can alter your mobility and quality of life. It can cause pain while walking, climbing stairs and turning over in bed.
Pregnancy hormones make your ligaments lose. This can lead to increased or uneven movements in the pelvis and extra movement can cause pain. As the baby grows this can change your posture, putting a strain on the pelvis and lower back. Your pelvic joint can become misaligned.
PGP is not harmful to your baby but can be painful and hard to move around
Women may feel pain:
• Over pubic bone at the front in the centre
• Across sides of the lower back
• Within the area between the vagina and anus
• Spreading to thighs
• Some may experience or notice a clicking or grinding in the pelvic area.
• While walking
• Going up or down stairs
• Turning over in bed
• While moving your legs apart
• Standing on one leg
It includes the following:
• Exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor
• Water exercises
• They may advise you a pelvic support belt or crutches
Pain relief medications that are risk-free in pregnancy.
• TENS machine
• Complementary therapies such as massage or reflexology
Book an Appointment with Dr. Triveni Arun for all the concerns related to Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
Want to consult the best gynecologists in India? Please find the links below.
Want to consult the best Maternity Packages in India? Please find the links below.