During a time of pregnancy, many women attend a pregnancy yoga class to keep toned, to stay flexible, to prepare their bodies for labour and birth, and also to meet other pregnant women in their area. But once the baby is born, it can be easy to lose the connection with other pregnant women and feel disheartened about the physical and emotional effects childbirth can have on your baby.
Postnatal yoga helps you to recover from pregnancy and birth. It heals the body and mind, and repair all the tissues back to their former glory. It is specially designed for mothers with their babies so that little one can also incorporate into the practice. It keeps the babies entertained and the babies as part of the yoga itself.
The yoga classes after pregnancy can be taken from about four to six weeks after the childbirth to six months. The gentle and focused exercise will help the body come back into shape again and also deal with fluctuating moods because of hormonal changes.
Click here to Consult The Best Pregnancy Doctors in Chennai
The Core Benefits of Postnatal Yoga
The benefits of attending a postnatal yoga class are:
- Restores hormonal balance
- Eases pressure on the nervous system
- It helps in building up strength in the spine
- Minimises the effects of holding and feeding a baby
- Restores the body towards full core strength
- Help reduce anxiety and depression
- Provides rest and instant relaxation
- Help ease the effects of another heavy lifting
The Physical Benefits of Yoga
- Complete exercise for the whole body
- Realignment of the spine
- Promotes general health
- A movement that promotes stamina and strength
- Relieves stiffness in the shoulders
- Toning the deep abdominal muscles to close the body after birth
- Helps knits back together separated abdominal muscles
- Promotes relaxation
- Expands breathing
- Improves blood flow
- Detoxification and movements of fluids
- Promotes hormonal balance
- Maintains flexibility in the spine and joints
- Stimulate cell growth and repair
You Must Also Read: What Yoga Positions Is Best When Pregnant?
The Emotional Benefits of Postnatal Yoga
- Reclaiming your body
- Nurturing yourself
- Renewing energy
- Relaxation and deep rest
- Quietening the mind
- Relieves and avoid postnatal depression
- Aids bonding between mother and baby
- Connects breathing and emotion
- Interaction with other mums
- Providing support
- Creating security for the baby
- Confidence in handling baby
- It heals emotionally after a difficult pregnancy or birth
Precautions Before Starting Postpartum Yoga
Here are some precautions which you need to take before starting a post-pregnancy yoga practice.
- Discuss with your doctor before you start practising postpartum yoga.
- Take help from a professional yoga guru.
- Do not drive yourself beyond limits.
- Perform yoga asanas that you can perform comfortably.
- After you get comfortable with asanas and gain strength, start concentrating on your abdominal muscles.
- Avoid junk food, fried food, and very hot or very cold food items. There is the old saying “If you have a happy mummy, you have a happy baby.” Through post-pregnancy yoga, you build balance, respect and nurture and the babies naturally follow it. Discuss with your gynaecologist before you join postnatal yoga classes.