It is pivotal to feed toddlers the right food. We know very well that a child’s brain develops very fast and almost completely until the age of 6. The food they eat during that period helps develop their brain. It is imperative that the best food is consumed and the right amount of calories are taken by children in order for their brains to develop to the fullest potential as well as to avoid childhood obesity. A good practice is to consult a child specialist doctor who would recommend a diet, good for kids of various age groups.
Visit the best paediatrician in Chennai. Follow the link to know more.
Understanding the number of calories which should be consumed by a 5-year-old:
What are the calories?
- 1 calorie is a unit of measurement of energy gain on consuming a particular about food
- Although it’s not a parameter to calculate the weight of a food product
- Everybody needs calories in order to function on an everyday basis
- Calories are very important for children as they indulge in much more physical activities as compared to adults
- Healthy eating is essential in this case for the child as fast food could be a source of calories not needed by the body.
- Home cooked food in a balanced diet is always good for the child
Why is there a requirement of calories for the child’s body?
- Calories provide energy to the body and are required for your child’s proper development
- Calories are also necessary for various organs to function properly
- Calorie consumption is as important as burning calories
- The body is always burning some calories during physical inactivity like watching TV, standing or sleeping but that’s not enough
- Children need to be active throughout the day to burn the required amount of calories
- A period of an hour or more of physical activities performed by children is crucial for burning calories
- Burning calories enables the child to develop strength and maintain a healthy weight
Child nutrition plan recommended for children under the age of 5
Consuming a certain amount of calories per day depends on various factors such as;
- Activity level
- Body composition
- The medical condition of the child
Given above are the parameters needed to consider in order to understand a child’s intake of calories per day.
Balanced food for Kids should include the following
It’s a necessity for children of every age to eat a healthy meal. A healthy diet for children should include;
- Milk, cottage cheese, butter, curd etc
- Vegetables & fresh fruits
- Chicken, meat & fish
- Whole wheat roti/bread, rice
- Healthy fats in the form of ghee/nutrient-rich oil/unrefined butter
A well-balanced meal is of high importance es[ecially for a growing up kid.
Calorie intake on an average for children under the age of 5:
A new-born infant to 11 months old
- If a baby is cranky and fussy or is not getting good sleep it means it’s not getting the required amount of energy
- A baby needs about 120 calories/kg of its weight
- If the infant is 4 kgs, the average calorie intake for it should be 480 calories
For children between the age group of 1 to 2
- Children between 1 to 2 years of age are very enthusiastic and curious, they’d cover exploring the whole world with that spirit if they could
- The children in this age group need about 45 calories every 0.45 kgs of their body weight
- Children in this age group need 1000 to 1400 calories/day
- Intake of the calories here can be distributed between 4-5 meals/day
- Children in this age group have a tiny stomach
Kids between the ages 3 to 5
- On an average 3-year-olds need the same amount of calories like children between the age group of 1 to 2
- 45 calories per 0.45 kgs of their body weight
- As the kid grows and reaches its 5th year the calorie intake should increase up to 2000 to 2500 calories/day
- By this period of time kids become fussy about food, they start developing a taste for what they like and what they don’t like.
- Feeding them might become a task, so much care with regards to taste is be taken this stage onwards
A better understanding of the number of calories which are to be consumed by kids under the age of 5 years, should help parents manage their toddlers’ food intake while giving them a healthy and balanced nutritional diet.