6 months, that is how long you have been pregnant if you are 23 weeks into it. The wait is getting shorter as less than 100 days are left for your baby’s birth. Did you know, your baby is now as big as an eggplant?
We know how exciting it must be getting for you now. Here is a sneak peek into your baby’s fetal development this week:
- Your baby is around 11 inches long from crown to heel and weighs over a pound now, which is basically the same as an eggplant.
Book an online appointment with Dr. Piyush Jain for pediatric/neonatal related issues
- The skin is a bit saggy still due to the less amount of fat deposits but it will fill in soon within the next 4 weeks and make your baby plump and chubby.
- The skin is translucent now with a red hue and that is due to the newly formed arteries and veins.
- The placenta is highly developed and is helping the baby with oxygen supplements and taking out the waste.
- Your baby can hear outside sounds well enough now. Even a dog barking too. Though at first only low-pitched sounds are clearer to the baby which means he/she can hear male voices more clearly.
Read more: Honey! I feel the baby is kicking!
- The lungs aren’t fully functional as of yet but they are practising the movements to prepare for later.
- The punches and the kicks will get much clearer as the movements get much stronger and more frequent with the developing nervous system.
- Your baby can now survive in the outside world with intensive care
- Their nostrils are unsealed
- Your baby possesses the skill for muscular breathing but their lungs need some more time to mature
- Your baby has fully formed lips now
- Rapid Eye Movement, or REM, has begun in your baby, and sometimes they can even open their eyes. However, they cannot properly do so until before the seventh month
Don’t miss Vaccination Schedule for your Baby, Book Home Vaccination Online. Cloudnine will come to your doorstep to provide your babies with crucial vaccinations
- Your baby’s brain is growing rapidly
- Your baby’s skin is thicker, with fat accumulating under it
Changes in you and things to do
Here are a few tips to remember for your 23 rd week:
- Water retention may cause swelling in your ankles, so take care of that as to not cause discomfort.
- Figure out if you need to hire a trained labour coach to help you with the weeks ahead.
- Skin discolouration is common and the hormones are responsible for it. Rest assured they will fade soon after the pregnancy is over.
Want to consult a Pediatric doctor? Book Online Consultation with the best Pediatrician in India
We at Cloudnine know our to-be-moms the best and are there for you anytime need be. All the best for the coming months!
Watch video on What does it mean when a baby is in breech state