If you’re an expecting mother who is in her 18th week of pregnancy, congratulations! You’re almost there. Just a few more months, and then you will get to see the face of your little bundle of joy. Now, being a mother-to-be, you must be very excited and curious to know about your baby’s growth at every stage. Did you know that it does not always have to be technical; you can find out how big your baby is with the help of regular items in your kitchen, such as fruits and vegetables? Interesting, right? For example, at 6 weeks of pregnancy, your baby will be the size of a sweet pea. Similarly, at 18 weeks, your baby is about the size of a bell pepper!
Book an online appointment with Dr. Meeta Chawhan for any gynecological related issues
At the 18th week, your baby has grown quite a significant bit. It is now about 5.6 inches long and weighs approximately 200-250 gm. Now, you have almost completed the second trimester of your pregnancy so you will see and feel some very significant changes. Let us take a look at the developments that your baby shows in the 18th week of pregnancy.
- The baby is highly active at 18 weeks of pregnancy and you will begin to feel movements within your womb if you hadn’t already.
- Your baby has acquired some new skills too! Yawning and hiccupping are new skills that your baby now possesses, in addition to the previous skills of sucking and swallowing.
- If you were waiting to start having conversations with your baby, now is the time to start! Your baby has started forming ear bones and now can hear you. It’s the best time for you and your partner to start speaking to your baby. Although this might seem like a whimsical thing that is done only in movies, speaking to your baby from the womb actually has its benefits. It familiarizes your baby with your voice and comforts him/her after birth.
Must Read: Immune boosting foods
Symptoms that are seen during the 18th week of pregnancy
There are some categorical symptoms that every mommy to be will notice at the 18th week of pregnancy without fail. Here are some of those characteristic symptoms seen in the 18th week.
- You will most likely be relieved of nausea and fatigue that had been haunting you through your first trimester (phew!). You’ll notice that you’re more energetic during the daytime than before.
- You will feel an increase in your appetite. It’s completely normal, so don’t shy away from gorging on everything that you are craving right now still on a healthier side.
- Now, let’s come to the not-so-nice symptoms. It is completely normal to feel dizzy, especially if you stand up too fast.
- You may experience constipation.
- Sleeping problems and backaches are very common during this period.
- Other physical ailments include round ligament pain and leg cramps.
Hang in there, and remember the reward you will get at the end of this period!
Want to consult gynecologist? Book Online Consultation with Doctor, consult the best Gynecologists in India
Do’s and Don’t’s for the mom to be in 18 weeks of pregnancy
While these symptoms are completely normal, there is no denying the fact that they can be very uncomfortable. The only thing that you as a mom to be can do is to make sure you take care of yourself and keep as healthy as possible to avoid any further complications.
- Increase your fluid intake
- Make sure you eat healthily. This is essential during this period, especially due to the increased appetite.
- Try to look for antenatal classes near you.
- Begin to stock up on some maternity clothing, as your bump begins to show around this time.
Watch Video on High Blood Pressure during Pregnancy
- Absolutely avoid consuming alcohol or smoking cigarettes. If your partner or anybody else at home smokes, make sure that they do not do so at home or in your presence.
- Before consuming any medicine, make sure you check with your health care expert and see that it is safe for consumption during pregnancy.
- Avoid exerting yourself too much. Make sure you are well-rested.
Hold tight, mommies-to-be! You’re in for the long run and you’ve done wonderfully till now. You’re halfway there, so sit back and enjoy the experience. We congratulate you, for you’re already a boss lady for braving through this pregnancy, and we would like to wish you all the best for the rest of your journey!
Must Read: Safe Ways To Manage Weight When Pregnant