Maternity leave is a special time to bond with your new bundle of joy, but when your leave comes to an end, entrusting your child to someone else's care and returning to the rigors of career life can be daunting. Wondering how to get a good grip on your work life as well as family life? Striking balance between the two is every important. Planning and organizing your daily activities can help you solve this problem. Here are some strategies to make sure that both your career and family flourish.
1. Don’t be guilty: Do you feel bad for not being there for your kids at home? Take negative thoughts away and think of the positive side. Your decision to continue working may have given them a better life like good education, afford certain classes, and extra savings for your kid’s future, etc.
2. Quality childcare: Opting for the best daycare center for your kids may help you feel relaxed that your kids are in a safe place while you are far away from them, working. Be in a regular touch with the caretaker as well as kids. Volunteer to help whenever you get some time off. Bring surprise treats to daycare like snacks, crafts or toys for the kids. Keep the caretaker informed about your kid’s schedule. This way you can ensure that your kids are under right guidance and care.
3. Keep a list-to-do: Setting the priorities is important and thus list-to-do comes into the role. When it comes on setting your priorities, lists are essential. Jot down all your important things that need to be done in coming days in a list. Stay focused and make sure you finish all these tasks on time.
4. Flexible work environment: If you work with an organization having flexible work arrangements, it’s a bonus for you. If not, discuss with your employer regarding your needs. Make sure you get the benefits of flexible work arrangements in your company such as maternity leaves, emergency leaves, work from home facilities etc.
5. Become tech-friendly: Everyone faces a situation where it becomes difficult to choose between work and family. You too might have gone through the same situation. You might have an important assignment to finish, but at the same time promised your kids to take them to the park. In such situation, technology comes to rescue. Carry your tab or laptop to the park where you can finish your assignments and at the same time keep an eye on your kids playing. Being tech friendly means you neither miss any office work nor disappoint your kids.
6. Limit distractions: Are you among those mothers who take office work at home and often misses spending time with the family?
7. Make sure you finish your work at the office itself. When at home with kids and spouse, try spending quality time with them. You can always check your mails and texts once the kids are asleep. By reducing your television watching time, you can give your family more time. Switch off the television and talk about your day during dinner.
8. Special family activities: Spending quality time with your family is very important to strengthen the bond. A family breakfast, a family time playing board games, movies together help you connect stronger with your family. Share the house chores with your spouse and kids. Involve your kids in cooking, folding laundry, cleaning, etc. It will not only lighten your burden, but also teach kids the importance of everyone doing their part.
9. Quality time with partner: Taking out some time to focus on each other is very important. You can plan a dinner date or a movie date weekly. Spend time with each other once the kids are asleep. This will nurture your relationship with your spouse and make it stronger. It will help you connect with your spouse.
10. Some me-time: Setting aside some time just for you is very crucial step to keep your life balanced. Half an hour from your hectic schedule can actually bring the best out of you. This could relax you and prepare you for another set of challenges. A quiet cup of coffee before your kids and spouse wake up is enough to start your day stress free.
How do you cope with it? How do you strike a healthy balance between your professional and personal lives? Tell us! We want to know! Share your experience and advice with working moms and moms-to-be.
Want to consult the Best Pediatricians in India? Please find the links below.