What time does your little one wake up? Is he/she an early riser?
It may be pretty tiring for you to wake up to your little one’s voice in the first light of the day especially when you had slept late last night. No one can deny the fact that being a parent does change your lifestyle. But, that doesn’t mean you need to wake up unreasonably early.
Image source: Parentdish
Here are a few tips to handle your little early risers:
1. Find out the reason for their early waking: Do you put your kids early to bed? If so, then it is normal for them to wake up early in the morning. You can gradually push their bed time forward by 10-15mins daily. Your kids may find it difficult at the beginning, but don’t give up. They will soon adjust to the routine.
But, if it isn’t the case, then you need to make sure they aren’t waking up due to some other disturbance such as noise or due to early morning’s chilled climate. Once the reason is detected, try to eliminate it as soon as possible. For example: if your kid wakes up due to the chilled morning weather, use thick bed sheets to wrap or cover them.
2. Stay in the room until it’s the right time to wake up: If your presences help your kids stay in bed for longer hours make sure you stay in room with them till the wake up time. But, make sure you don’t disturb the kids’ sleep with your talks and activities.
3. Keep the lights off and give your kids the night feel: Kids sense morning easily. Even the tiniest crack of daylight can wake them up no matter how deep sleepers they are. Put off the lights of their room and curtains down as it will give them the sense of night and encourage more sleep in the morning. Also, ensure that you use thick curtain cloths so that light doesn’t penetrate easily into the room.
4. Treat early waking like a night waking: In case your kids break their sleep in the early morning, try to put them back to sleep instead of letting them step out of the bed. You should treat an early morning waking like a night-waking. Guide your kids back to bed as if it’s still sleep time. Soothe your children back to sleep with a gentle touch without picking them up from the bed.
5. Stick to it: Stick to your plans to avoid troubles in future. You have to be patient, consistent, and strict with your kids when necessary. It’s for the benefit of everyone that your children sleep until a reasonable time. Try having a daily routine and stick to it as far as possible.
Is your child waking too early or going to bed too late? Do you struggle with a baby who consistently gets up before the rest of the family has finished a full night’s sleep? If yes, then share with us how you cope up with such situation in the comments below.
If you found this article interesting and would like to know more, talk to a Cloudnine expert today!