Ensuring your precious little one achieves the standard milestones is necessary and assuring for a parent.
Click here to Consult The Best Pediatricians in Noida
GROSS MOTOR MILESTONES
- Around 2-3 months of age, the baby would be able to hold her head steady while sitting and also pulls to sit without head lag. This allows more visual interaction and indicates good muscle tone in the neck.
- By 3-4 months, the baby rolls over onto her stomach and learns to lift her head.
- By 6-7 months of age, the baby will be able to sit without support, and also creep on a plain surface, first backwards, then forwards. Soon after, she will try and crawl forward with the stomach off the ground.
- Around a year of age, she would be able to walk unsupported.
- By 15-16 months, she can run unsupported and requires more supervision.
FINE MOTOR MILESTONES
- Around 3-4 months of age, a baby will try to grasp an object such as a rattle. So, the baby tries to reach for it. This suggests good visuomotor coordination.
- By 5-6 months of age, she would be able to transfer an object from hand to hand. With this manoeuvre, she would have achieved voluntary release and it indicates that she might be comparing objects.
- Pincer grasp or thumb-finger grasp develops around 8-9 months of age, indicating that she is able to explore small objects with her hand.
- By 12 months of age, she turns pages of a book.
- By 13 months, she scribbles.
- She can build a tower of 2 cubes by about 15 months, and a tower of 6 cubes by about 22 months. This activity involves visual, gross and fine motor coordination.
COMMUNICATION & LANGUAGE
- She smiles in response to the mother’s face and voice by 1.5 -2 months.
- She starts cooing by around 4-5 months.
- By 6-7 months, she might babble using monosyllables.
- By 10-12 months, she uses repetitive monosyllables like ‘mama’, ‘dada’, etc.
- She may speak her first word by a year of age.
- She can say 4-6 words by 15 months of age and 10-15 words by 18 months of age.
- By 2 years of age, her vocabulary would have increased to >50 words, and she can speak short 2 – 3-word sentences.