Mercurial moods. Persistent sugar cravings. 2 AM trips to the toilet. Oh, the joys of PMS.
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is like a catty, careless visitor that camps in your belly and ravages misery on your mind, body and soul. And then brings Aunt Flo along, to boot.
The truth is, you don’t have to resign yourself to life with PMS. If you find that the condition brings you down and consistently affects your quality of life, it’s worth seeking a doctor’s opinion on whether there’s more to your misery than you think. Sometimes, just sometimes, the condition is rooted in deeper, underlying medical conditions.
What Is PMS?
MS is a condition that usually occurs in the five to eleven days leading up to a woman’s menstrual cycle and recedes upon the onset of menstruation. It can lead to mood swings, physical weakness and emotional volatility. Although it affects over 90% of menstruating women, the condition must present lifestyle-compromising symptoms for a doctor to provide a formal diagnosis. PMS is believed to be linked to hormonal changes and fluctuations in serotonin levels. Primarily, an increase in oestrogen and progesterone triggers mood swings, anxiety and testiness.
We hear from you. Here’s a peek at the realities and risk factors of PMS.
What Are the Risk Factors For PMS?
PMS is more likely to affect women with the attributes highlighted below:
What Are the Symptoms of PMS?
PMS can manifest in varying degrees of severity, from slight to serious. About 80% of women experience at least one symptom of PMS during each menstrual cycle, but report being able to continue with their daily lives in spite of it. The remaining 20% suffer moderate to severe premenstrual syndrome symptoms that can sometimes be debilitating and adversely impact daily life. About 8% of these can be classified as victims of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), an acute disorder that warrants medical treatment.
Symptoms of PMS include:
When Should I See My Doctor?
The truth is, there is no right time to see your doctor. There’s no holy grail for PMS, and it’s wise to seek out medical help if you experience physical pain, mood swings or any other symptoms that persistently affect your quality of life. PMS symptoms often overlap with those of inflammatory bowel syndrome, hypothyroidism and pregnancy, so your doctor may first want to rule out other conditions before prescribing you a PMS treatment plan. A great way to assess whether you are indeed suffering from PMS (because hey, we all know it’s real), is to maintain a journal of symptoms. Track the days you experience them and correspond them with the start of your subsequent cycle. Over time, you may notice a pattern, making it easier for your doctor to attribute your symptoms to PMS.
How Is PMS Treated?
Unfortunately, there’s no magic cure for PMS, but there are steps you can take to minimise your symptoms. For Mild to Moderate PMS
For Severe PMS
If you constantly find yourself in the clutches of PMS, take it upon yourself to set yourself free. With the right premenstrual syndrome treatment, you can break away from the shackles of the condition and finally learn to live life on your own terms.
To Know more about: PMS mood swings
Want to consult the best gynecologists in India? Please find the links below.