Recently, Cloudnine hosted a live Tweetinar on Newborn Care During Summers on its Twitter handle @CloudnineCare. It was conducted by Dr Sanjay Wazir, Consultant - Paediatrics at Cloudnine Hospital, Gurgaon. The Tweetinar drew a tremendous response and saw considerable engagement on Twitter. Here are some of its highlights.
Click here to Consult The Best Pediatricians in Bengaluru
Specialist Details: Dr Sanjay Wazir
Tweetinar Questions & Answers
1. How does one treat a newborn's dry skin?
Sprinkle water before applying moisturiser on the baby's skin. This will keep the skin moisturised for longer.
2. What kind of clothing is best for a newborn during the summer?
Loose clothes that allow adequate air circulation are ideal.
3. How soon can one travel on a newborn (air journey of 3 hours)?
It is recommended that you wait until your baby demonstrates signs of stability.
4. My baby is 3 months old and is reliant on breast milk. Since I have not started any formula milk for him, how can I shield him from dehydration and diarrhoea?
Breast milk is composed of 90% water. Hence, you need not add water to his diet until he crosses the six-month mark.
5. My newborn is 2.5 months old. What can I do to reduce her colic and promote her growth?
Colic should decrease within the next 1 to 2 months. For now, try limiting breastfeeding sessions to not more than 10 to 15 minutes each.
6. I have a two-month-old baby. She feeds, passes urine and motions regularly, but she hardly sleeps during the day and often seems irritated. She doesn't suffer from any diaper rash or colic. What could possibly be upsetting her?
This could be due to colic. A body massage and colic drops may ease her distress.
7. What are the essential baby toiletries for summer?
Use what feels right. That said, avoid talcum powder as it can cause damage to your baby’s lungs if inhaled. A soap with a pH of 7 to 7.5 is ideal.
8. My son is 9 months old and has difficulty urinating. We did a routine urine test, which showed that everything is normal. What could this difficulty be attributed to and should we be concerned?
This could be because your baby is consuming fluids in larger quantities. There is nothing to worry about.
9. Is it safe to take a newborn out in the sun?
Direct sunlight should ideally be avoided for the first 6 months.
10. My baby is 13 months old and has very dry skin. I have noticed that his elbows, knees and legs are developing black patches. What can I do to resolve this?
Apply moisturiser 4 times a day. Sprinkle water on the skin before doing so, to increase the efficacy of the moisturiser.
11. My baby is 9 months old. What measures should we take to ensure his comfort during the summer?
Keep your child optimally hydrated. Also, apply a mild mosquito repellent on his arms and legs before taking him outdoors.
12. Is it safe for a 3-month-old baby to sleep in an air-conditioned room?
It is safe, as long as the temperature ranges between 22 and 24 degrees.
13. Can I give my one-month-old baby a top feed once a day?
A top feed should be avoided for a baby this young. Breastfeeding is the best form of feeding for any child.
14. How do I tackle rashes caused by summertime sweat?
If the rash is scanty, you can ignore it. However, if it is severe, a cream recommended by a doctor may be required.
15. How much water should my 2-year-old consume during the summer?
A fluid intake of 100 ml/kg (milk, juice or water) per day is advisable.
16. What quantity of fluids (water, juice or soup) should we give our 6-month-old baby?
If you are still exclusively breastfeeding, you need not give your baby water. If you've started with solids, then 1 to 2 ounces of water per day is recommended.
17. My baby is 1 month and 16 days old. What signals should I watch for to know whether she is feeling hot or cold?
Touch your baby’s back with the back of your hand. If it is cold, then you need to cover your child.
18. How often should I feed my baby?8-10 times a day is recommended.19How can I keep diseases at bay this summer?
Avoid eating outside and apply ample mosquito repellent before stepping outdoors.
20. Is it okay to use olive oil to massage my baby?
It is perfectly fine to use olive oil.
21. How much water should I give my newborn daughter in the summer?
Her current age is 2.5 months. Once she has started solids, 2 to 3 ounces of water per day is recommended.
22. Should I add water to my 3-month-old’s diet this summer?
Breast milk is composed of 90% water, so there is no need to add water to your child’s diet at this stage.
23. Will massages during the summer affect my child’s complexion?
Massages can help strengthen the bond between you and your baby. They have no bearing on your baby’s complexion.
24. How important is it for my newborn to wear a cap during the summer?
On the contrary, you should not make your newborn wear a cap during summer.
25. My baby is 27 days old and is developing white heat boils on his face and body. Is this a routine outcome of the heat or does it require special attention?
The boils on the face may be due to baby acne. Since they are also occurring on the body, it is best that you stop any messages with immediate effect.
26. Is it okay for me to apply the cream on my four-month-old baby’s face?
The cream is fine, but it is best to avoid oil.
27. I will be travelling to Kerala soon, where it is much hotter than my hometown of Bangalore. What precautions should I take?
There are no special precautions you need to take; just ensure that you feed your baby regularly for optimal hydration.
28. How much water should my 10-month-old baby be consuming?
Breast milk comprises 90% water. Hence, you need not give water to your 10-month-old baby.
29. Is it okay to massage my newborn in the summer?
Yes, you can massage your baby during summer, but avoid using mustard oil.
30. Should I give my 4-month old baby water during summer?
It is best that you exclusively breastfeed until your baby is six months old. Breast milk comprises 90% water. Hence, you need not give water to your 4-month-old baby.
31. Can I start my 3-month-old baby on fruit juices?
Currently, he is exclusively on breast milk.Juices are recommended for babies only after the 1-year mark.
32. How do I provide relief from a cough or cold during summer?
A humidifier and nasal drops can provide much-needed relief to your baby. Medication is best avoided entirely.
33. My daughter is not typically a fussy eater. However, this summer, she is showing no interest in food. What can be done?
Reduce her milk intake and keep a 3 to 4-hour gap between her meals.
34. I am scared about the possibility of dehydration for my 3-month-old baby this summer. What precautions should I take?
You needn’t be worried at all. Breast milk consists of 90% water and is enough to keep your baby optimally hydrated.
35. Is it okay for my five-month-old to be in an air-conditioned environment this summer?
Yes, as long as the temperature range is 22 to 24 degrees.
36. Are there any specific precautions we need to take with regard to newborn care this summer?
Use a mild soap with a pH of 7 to 7.5 and avoid using mustard oil for massages.
37. Is it best for my 4-month-old to be administered the inactivated poliovirus vaccine?
Where I live, I currently have access only to the oral poliovirus vaccine. The inactivated poliovirus vaccine can be administered during your baby’s fourth month, whereas the oral poliovirus vaccine can be started anytime afterwards.
38. Is it safe to swaddle a newborn during the summer? Will it lead to over heating?
If your baby is comfortable, you need not worry. If you notice signs of discomfort, however, it is best to release the swaddle.
39. My baby is 1-week-old and has very dry lips. What can I do?
You can apply breast milk or any lotion to the lips.
40. Is it harmful to the mother and child if the frequency of breastfeeding increases during summer?
It is not harmful, but it is recommended that you limit each session to about 15 to 20 minutes.
41. My son is three years old and as of a few days ago, completely rejects homemade food. He did the same thing last summer. He now favours cucumber and bite-sized fruits. Is it okay for kids not to eat home-cooked food during the summer?
Leave a gap of 4 hours between feeds and make sure that only healthy homemade food is given during meal times.
42. What are the common illnesses faced by newborns in the summer and how can we stay prepared for them?
Stomach infections caused by water contamination and rashes caused by heat are most common during summertime. To beat rashes, it is best to maintain the room temperature between 22 and 24 degrees.
43. What kind of sunscreen can be used for babies during the summer?
A sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ is recommended.
44. The summer season brings with it mosquitoes and mosquito-related diseases. Do you recommend using a mosquito repellent or a fabric roll-on on a newborn?
Mosquito repellents and fabric roll-ons that are mild and gentle can be applied.
45. In Chennai, the heat is unbearable and often results in rashes on my baby. What can I do to keep such rashes at bay?
Heat rashes can be avoided by keeping your baby away from hot water baths. Also, prickly heat powders are best avoided until your baby turns one year old.
46. What tips should one keep in mind while going out with a baby in the summer?
A mosquito repellent is crucial. Also, it is important to keep your baby guarded against the seasonal flu.
47. What is the best way of dealing with a sweat rash on a newborn?
Opt for light clothes made of cotton and ensure that your baby’s bathwater is cool. If the rashes continue, consult a doctor.
48. Which oil should be used in the summer season to massage a newborn?
Any oil except mustard oil is fine.
49. How often should a newborn be bathed during summer?
You can give your baby daily baths. If your baby is unwell, resort to a gentle sponge bath.
50. Are there any specific points to keep in mind for babies that are born in the summer season?
Heat rashes are common in newborns that are over-covered.
51. Is it advisable to use diapers during summer, considering the heat and sweat that newborns struggle with?
You can use either cloth or disposable diapers but make sure to change them every 3 to 4 hours.
52. Are prickly heat powders safe to cure skin rashes or would you suggest using medicated powders?
Prickly heat powders are not recommended for babies. Liquid talc powders can be used.
53. What are some bathing tips new moms should keep in mind this summer?
Avoid hot water completely. Use room-temperature tap water instead.
54. Can mosquito repellent creams be safely applied on newborns? Or would it be better to use a mosquito repellent liquidator in the room?
A mosquito repellent cream is best used in outdoor environments. Indoors, a liquidator works well.
55. Would you recommend outdoor sports for a 4-year-old child? How many hours a day would be ideal?
1 to 2 hours of outdoor physical activity per day would be ideal.
56. My daughter's skin is eczema-prone. Are there any specific measures you would suggest for this?
A good skin moisturiser should be applied 2 to 3 times a day.
57. My newborn son sweats a lot. Is it safe to apply powder on him?
Talcum powder needs to be avoided as there are chances that the baby might inhale some of it, causing infections in the lungs.
58. How soon can I begin body massages on my newborn?
Body massages can be started anytime after the mother is discharged and is back home.
59. My one-month-old baby constantly sneezes and has watery eyes. What should I do?
Offer steam or use a cold humidifier to keep your baby’s nasal canal open. There is no need for any medication.
60. What material should I use for swaddling?
Cotton is a recommended material for swaddling.
Click here to Book an Appointment with the Best Pediatrician near you
Dr. Sanjay Wazir
Consultant - Paediatrics,
Want to consult the Best Pediatricians in India? Please find the links below.