Mother eating healthy food
Breastfeeding brings about a beautiful bond between a mother and her child, it is known to be very fulfilling for both and during the process hormones like prolactin and oxytocin work to build a nurturing and loving relationship between the mother and the child. Breastfeeding woman needs to consume healthy nutrients so that her child receives the same in the best way
To Consult: Best Maternity Specialist in Bangalore
Necessities of healthy snacking while breastfeeding :
What ever the mother eats goes to the baby which helps the baby gain weight.
Breastfeeding provides immunity for the future so the healthier the mothers diet the healthier the milk is going to be.
Breastfeeding is a very energy-consuming task which tires the mother easily. So healthy food and snacks help the mother in the long run.
It is best to opt for a well-balanced diet comprising of whole grain, nuts, fruits, and veggies and dairy products that give all the energy needed by the mother.
The snack should be Easy to Prepare
A mother is always working, especially a new one, she is left with no energy by the end of the day, so snacking on healthy food which is easy to prepare, is a necessity for her.
The snack should support Lactation
Certain foods like raw papaya, sago grains, garlic, pulses and red meat are known to enhance lactation. It is hence crucial to consume food that helps in lactation.
Must Read: 6 Foods to Avoid When Breastfeeding
7 Snacks for new Mothers
It is suggested that you have a snack once every 2-3 hours so as to maximize energy. The following are a list of top ten quick snacks for breastfeeding moms that taste great and provide great nutrition to your baby.
Nuts and Dried Fruits Trail Mix
- Nuts and dried fruits are an easy source of energy
- They are rich in nutrients such as fibre and potassium
- They are very easy to consume
Boiled Eggs and Milk
- Eggs and milk are a great energy booster.
- This is a protein-rich snack
Banana with milk
- Banana is a nutritious fruit full of potassium
- It is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber as well
- Milk is known for soothing the body, a combination of both is a healthy choice
Dark Chocolate and Berries
Mothers who’ve chocolate cravings can have dark chocolate as it is healthier than other chocolates.
- It is also rich in antioxidants
- Dark chocolates work well with most fruits
- The best combination, however, is dark chocolate with Berries
- This snack has anti-inflammatory properties
Hummus and veggies
- Hummus is rich in protein as it is prepared with chickpeas
- This can be taken with chopped veggies
- This snack is nutritious effortless to eat
Must Read: New Moms Weight Loss Nutrition Guide
Dates and Raisins
- Dates are rich in iron and fibre
- This snack is very easy to prepare
- Raisin is rich in iron and fibre
- It is the snack for mothers with a sweet tooth
Oats and Nuts Waffles
- Oats and nuts are a great source of fibre
- They also contain slow-releasing fats
- They are helpful for lactation
- Combined with nuts they are a great snack to consume
Doctors often insist mothers take serious care of themselves and the best way to do this is to take care of their nutrition. This is because their bodies are too busy using up calories for milk production during that phase. Doctors recommend 300 to 500 calories intake for new mothers who are breastfeeding in a day. Women often neglect their health and nutrition during this period. They should be eating well as most of their nutrition is used up in producing milk for the baby.
Eating good food and drinking a lot of fluids is bound to result in an increased supply of good quality milk for the baby and ample energy for the mother.
To Know More: Quick Healthy Bites to Snack On During Pregnancy