Summer is here and so are summer vacations. Away from school and homework, your kids spend a full day playing out in the sun. And, you keep worrying about their health. Some smart preparations from your side can actually help you keep your kids safe this summer.
To Consult: The Best Pediatrician in Chandigarh
Here are some common health problems that can affect your kids, this summer. So, make preparations to keep these common health issues away from your precious ones.
1. SUNBURNS: Overexposure to the sun damages your kid’s skin. It causes reddening, inflammation, and, in severe cases, blistering and peeling of the skin. To avoid this disaster, make sure that you do not send your kids out in the sun without applying sunscreen. And re-apply it frequently. Avoid going out when the sun is harsh, i.e. between 11 am to 3 pm.
2. RASHES & BLISTERS: During summers, kids spend too much time outdoors in a hot and humid environment which causes sunburns, infections and allergies. The primary treatment for these types of skin irritations is to apply a cold compress on the affected area. Do not use any type of oil-based products which may block the sweat glands and worsen the situation. Calamine lotion or steroid cream can relieve itching and irritation, however, consult your doctor before using steroid-based creams. To avoid these rashes, try to stay in a cool and dry atmosphere such as under fans, air-conditioners with your kids. Make them wear comfortable and loose fitted clothes during summers.
3. DEHYDRATION: Usually when kids are out in the playground, they are engrossed so much into the games that they actually forget to drink water. This leads to dehydration. To prevent it, carry water and juices(preferably, homemade) everywhere possible and make sure your kids drink plenty of water and juices in regular interval. It will help the body to restore the lost fluid and rehydrate.
4. INSECTS BITE: Summer is the time of insects and mosquitoes. It’s common to get the insect and mosquito bites, especially when your kids are playing outside. Keep your kids away from areas with lots of weeds and plants that attract bees and other insects. Apply insect repellant when you send your kids out. Make sure they wash hands and legs with soap when they return home
To Know More: About Most common ENT problems in children
5. WATERBORNE DISEASES: It isn’t safe to allow your kids to drink contaminated water. It may cause diseases like typhoid, Diarrhea, Cholera, Jaundice, Dysentery etc. So, this summer carries a bottle of boiled and cooled water wherever you go with your kids.
Now that you are aware of the common summer health problem, take necessary precautions to keep your children healthy and safe, this summer.
Must Read: Healthy Sleep Habits for Children