When you realize you are pregnant, the first thing that you should ensure is to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet for optimum nourishment of the baby. If you are reconsidering your food options so as to make healthier choices, you will come across plenty of options to choose from – different types of milk being one. Although Almond Milk has been there since ancient years, it has been gaining popularity recently.
Almond milk is a great healthy drink option for those who are lactose intolerant or are looking forward to adding variety to your diet or enjoy its consistency and flavor.
How many calories are there in Almond Milk?
Almond milk has fewer calories in comparison to cow milk. Therefore it is necessary include it as a part of your balanced diet. Besides, it also contains calcium, phosphorous, zinc, riboflavin.
Health Benefits of Soy Milk during Pregnancy
- Antioxidants: Almond milk is rich in Vit E an antioxidant that reduces oxidative stress during pregnancy.
- Healthy Heart: It contains a moderate amount of omega-3 fatty acids which helps to keep the heart healthy.
- Good for Bone Health: Almond milk is a great source of calcium which will help to meet the increase in calcium requirements and thereby keep your bones healthy and strong.
- Prevents High Blood Pressure: High BP is a serious concern during pregnancy as it can lead to preeclampsia. Almond milk besides being rich in calcium also has magnesium that helps in keeping blood pressure under control.
- Helps manage Gestational Diabetes (GDM): Almonds have a low glycemic index therefore a great choice for managing sugars during pregnancy.
- Good for Vegans: If you are vegan and dairy products are off the list, then almond milk is an excellent option which can be taken as milk, smoothies & in gravies.
- Healthy Skin: Vitamin E in almond milk helps to keep your skin radiant and healthy by preventing acne and pigmentation.
- Long shelf life: Almond milk does not need to be stored in refrigerator. Thus it makes an excellent and easier option to carry it along during travelling as well at workplace & while waiting during scans, tests, etc.
How to Prepare a Glass of Almond Milk?
You can add a pinch of cinnamon or cocoa powder to add extra flavor.
Prefer making it at home but just in case you are unable to do so almond milk is easily available in grocery stores as well. It is available in different variants like flavored, sugar free, calcium enriched etc. However it will contain preservatives.
A few tips to consider before purchasing almond milk:
- Opt for unsweetened varieties so as to limit sugar intake
- Opt for non GMO or organic option.
- Read nutrition label so as to choose one with less preservatives.
Alternatively, you can always make your own almond milk!
Learn about: Dates during Pregnancy: Do they really ease Labor?
How much Almond Milk can be taken during Pregnancy?
Almond milk is generally considered safe to be consumed during pregnancy except in cases where one has a prior history of allergy. Yet, it is recommended to consume it in moderate quantities so as to avoid any gastrointestinal symptoms.
Make sure you follow the guidelines for a healthy and balanced diet and enjoy the best moments of your life.
Want to consult a Gynecologist doctor? Book Online Consultation with the best Gynecologist in India
Watch video on Diet during pregnancy